Recipes and Cooking Banana Bars with Butter-Rum Frosting 5.0 (1) 1 Review This is a great recipe to make when you have overripe bananas at your house. Being extra-ripe means that they are sweeter and are easier to mash. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on March 1, 2021 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Blaine Moats Prep Time: 20 mins Bake Time: 25 mins Total Time: 20 mins Yield: 48 bars Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ½ cup butter, softened 1 ⅓ cup sugar 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 1 egg 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium) ½ cup dairy sour cream 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 cup all-purpose flour ¾ cup chopped toasted almonds 1 recipe Butter-Rum Frosting Freshly grated nutmeg (optional) Butter-Rum Frosting 3 tablespoon butter, softened 3 cup powdered sugar 1 tablespoon rum 1 teaspoon vanilla Milk Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the almonds. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven about 25 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Spread with Butter-Rum Frosting. Cut into bars. If desired, just before serving, sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg. Butter-Rum Frosting In a medium mixing bowl beat butter on medium speed of an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in half of the powdered sugar. Beat in rum and vanilla. Beat in the rest of the powdered sugar and enough milk to make a frosting of spreading consistency. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 111 Calories 4g Fat 18g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 111 % Daily Value * Total Fat 4g 5% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Cholesterol 12mg 4% Sodium 60mg 3% Total Carbohydrate 18g 7% Total Sugars 13g Protein 1g Calcium 10.1mg 1% Iron 0.4mg 2% Potassium 33mg 1% Folate, total 12.1mcg Vitamin B-6 0mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.