Deep Dark Chocolate Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
- Place the chocolate, butter, and coffee powder in the top of a double boiler or a large heat-proof bowl. Set over a pan of barely simmering water (the bottom of the pan should not touch the water). Heat and stir occasionally until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and combined. Remove from heat, keeping pan or bowl over water. Add both sugars; whisk until completely combined. Remove from water. Mixture should be at room temperature.
- Add three eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until just combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter or your brownies will be cakey.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a spatula (not a whisk), fold until there is just a trace amount of flour mixture visible.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish or pan and smooth the top with your spatula. Bake the brownies for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Cool completely on a wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, to make ganache, place 6 ounces quality chocolate (60-72%) in a medium heatproof bowl. Place 1/2 cup whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and heat just until bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let sit for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth. Pour the warm ganache over the cooled brownies in the pan and use an offset spatula to spread it into an even layer. Allow the ganache to sit for 10 minutes, then refrigerate for another 15 minutes to set completely. Freeze for 30 minutes, if necessary, for easier cutting. Run a chef's knife under hot water, wipe dry, and cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts (Deep Dark Chocolate Brownies)
- Per serving:
- 240 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 59 mg chol. ,
- 100 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 22 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.