Recipes and Cooking Daddy's Biscuits by Trisha Yearwood 3.7 (14) Add your rating & review "Biscuits are synonymous with Southern cooking," says Trisha. "If I had the time, I would have homemade biscuits at every single meal." For smaller, appetizer-friendly biscuits, we use a 2-inch biscuit cutter. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on May 1, 2013 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Jennifer Davick Prep Time: 20 mins Bake Time: 8 mins Total Time: 28 mins Servings: 12 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients Nonstick cooking spray 4 tablespoon vegetable shortening 2 cup self-rising flour ¾ cup buttermilk, well shaken Directions Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Using a pastry blender or two table knives, cut the shortening into the flour until it resembles coarse meal. Use a fork to stir in the buttermilk to make a soft dough, or until the dough comes together and leaves the sides of the bowl. Continue stirring with the fork until all the flour is worked into the dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board. Knead 3 or 4 times until smooth and manageable. With your hands or a floured rolling pin, flatten the dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Cut with a 2 to 2 1/2-inch floured biscuit cutter. Reroll the dough for more biscuits if necessary. Place the rounds on the baking sheet 1 inch apart for crisp biscuits or almost touching for softer biscuits. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Tips If you cannot find self-rising flour, substitute 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 Tbsp. baking powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 118 Calories 5g Fat 16g Carbs 3g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 12 Calories 118 % Daily Value * Total Fat 5g 6% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 1mg 0% Sodium 265mg 12% Total Carbohydrate 16g 6% Total Sugars 1g Protein 3g Vitamin C 0.2mg 1% Calcium 88mg 7% Iron 1mg 6% Potassium 49mg 1% Fatty acids, total trans 1g Folate, total 41.6mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.