Cute Owl Cake
- Place cake on a large flat serving platter or tray. For body of owl, use a serrated knife to make rounded cuts to remove the two corners at bottom of cake. For head, trim a small crescent shape from the top of cake. For wings, cut the trimmed crescent shape in half horizontally. Place crescent shapes, flat sides out, on top of cake at a slight angle.
- Tint Butter Frosting yellow; set aside. Spread the head, body, and wings of owl with Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting, leaving a wedge-shape area on the body unfrosted. Spread the entire unfrosted wedge-shape area with yellow frosting. Insert rows of almond slices into yellow frosting for feathers.
- Place doughnuts on cake for eyes. Attach malted milk balls to centers of doughnuts using yellow frosting. Shape one of the orange chewy squares into a beak and insert into frosting between the eyes. Shape the remaining two orange chewy squares into four claws and insert into frosting at bottom edge of owl. If desired, shape the pink chewy square into a bow and add to head for a girl owl.
From the Test Kitchen
Baby Owl Cupcakes:
Frost twelve 2 1/2-inch cupcakes in paper bake cups (any flavor) with Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting and yellow-tinted Butter Frosting as directed for Mama Owl Cake; insert rows of almond slices into yellow frosting for feathers. For each cupcake, place two chocolate pieces on top of head for ear feathers. Add two white candy coating discs for eyes; attach two brown miniature candy-coated chocolate pieces to centers of candy discs using yellow frosting. Add orange miniature candy-coated chocolate pieces for a beak and four claws.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 382 calories, 4 g protein, 56 g carbohydrate, 17 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 44 g total sugar, 7% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 192 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 7% iron
- In an extra-large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in enough additional milk to reach spreading consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers. (Halve the recipe to frost a 13x9-inch cake or 10-inch fluted tube cake.)
From the Test Kitchen
Citrus Butter Frosting:
Substitute lemon or orange juice for the milk and add 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or orange peel.
Chocolate Butter Frosting:
Substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar.
Coffee Butter Frosting:
Add 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder or coffee crystals with the powdered sugar or substitute strong brewed coffee for the milk.
Peppermint Butter Frosting:
Substitute 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract for the vanilla and tint pink with red food coloring.
Almond Butter Frosting:
Substitute 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for the vanilla.
Milk Chocolate Butter Frosting:
Melt 1 cup milk chocolate pieces and beat into the butter before adding the powdered sugar.
Peanut Butter Butter Frosting:
Beat 1/2 cup peanut butter into the butter before adding the powdered sugar.
Spice Butter Frosting:
Add 1 to 2 teaspoons apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice with the powdered sugar.
Strawberry Butter Frosting:
Beat 1/3 cup strawberry jam into the butter before adding the powdered sugar.
Irish Cream Butter Frosting:
Substitute Irish cream liqueur for the milk.
Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting
- In a large saucepan melt chocolate pieces and butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers.
Nutrition Facts (Cute Owl Cake)
- Per serving:
- 652 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 100 mg chol. ,
- 377 mg sodium ,
- 100 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 76 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.