Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set cups aside.
- In medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Add sweet potatoes and vanilla, beating until combined. Add flour mixture; beat until combined (batter will be thick).
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 1 minute. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Place Cream Cheese Frosting in large resealable plastic bag. Cut a 1/4-inch opening in one corner of bag. Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes. Sprinkle with orange peel. Makes 24 cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Freeze unfrosted cupcakes in airtight containers up to 1 month. Store frosting in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Mini Fluted Tube Variation:
Coat 8 fluted individual tube pans with nonstick baking spray. Spoon batter into pans. Bake 30 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack 1 minute. Remove from pan and cool completely. Omit Cream Cheese Frosting and finely shredded orange peel. Dust cooled cakes with powdered sugar.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add bourbon or milk and beat until combined. Beat in powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth and of a good piping consistency. Makes 4-1/3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Potato Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 400 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 71 mg chol. ,
- 210 mg sodium ,
- 60 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 48 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.