Marbled Almond Cupcakes
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line twenty 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, the 3 tablespoons amaretto, and vanilla; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add egg whites, one at at time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Transfer 1-1/4 cups of the batter to a small bowl; stir in cocoa powder. Spoon white batter into prepared cups, filling each about one-third full. Spoon about 1 tablespoon chocolate batter into each cup. Top with the remaining white batter; swirl gently to marble.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in prepared muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Prick tops of warm cupcakes with a fork. Brush tops with the 1 to 2 tablespoons amaretto. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Working with Marbled Almond Frosting, place half of the white frosting and half of the chocolate frosting side by side in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. (Or place frostings side by side in a corner of a heavy resealable plastic bag; snip off a small piece from that corner to make a 1/4-inch opening.) Pipe frosting onto tops of cupcakes. Makes 20 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Marbled Almond Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and amaretto with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in the 2 tablespoons milk. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk until frosting reaches piping consistency. Transfer half of the frosting to a medium bowl; stir in cocoa powder.
Nutrition Facts (Marbled Almond Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 133 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 42 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.