Lemon Drop Cupcakes
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line twenty 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup combine milk and limoncello; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and lemon peel; beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake about 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Up to 1 hour before serving, generously spread or pipe Lemon Frosting on each cupcake. Place crushed candies on a plate. Roll the edges of the cupcakes in crushed candies to coat. Or top cupcakes with a Glazed Lemon Slice. Makes 20 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Store unfrosted cupcakes in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or store unfrosted cupcakes in a single layer in an airtight freezer container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw cupcakes at room temperature before frosting.
- Allow butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat butter, shortening, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Slowly add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add lemon juice. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar. Beat in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
Glazed Lemon Slices
- Cut lemons into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Remove seeds. Roll slices in sugar to coat well. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange lemon slices in a single layer in skillet. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar dissolves and lemon slices appear glazed (do not let them brown), turning once. Transfer to a piece of foil; cool completely. Roll cooled slices in sugar again before using. (These slices are edible, but the rind is chewy; if desired, remove slices before eating.)
Nutrition Facts (Lemon Drop Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 350 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 59 mg chol. ,
- 150 mg sodium ,
- 53 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 42 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.