Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside. Prepare cake batter according to package directions.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups. Place a scant tablespoon room temperature ice cream topping on the top center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread some of the frosting over each cupcake. Place the remaining frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
- In a small saucepan melt the chocolate pieces and shortening over low heat; cool slightly. Spoon melted chocolate into a small heavy resealable plastic bag. Seal bag; snip off a small piece from one corner. Drizzle chocolate on top of frosted cupcakes.
- Sprinkle cupcakes with nuts. Pipe the remaining frosting on top of cupcakes. Place a cherry on top of each cupcake. Makes 24 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If desired, use Smucker's Magic Shell instead of melting the semisweet chocolate pieces and shortening.
Nutrition Facts (Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 291 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 27 mg chol. ,
- 220 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 33 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.