Cuban-Style Pork Sliders with Mojo Sauce
- In a large skillet cook ground pork, onions, garlic, and jalapeno peppers over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onions are tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine meat mixture, broth, thyme, cumin, coriander, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. Stir Mojo Sauce into meat mixture in the slow cooker.
- To serve, spread cut sides of each bun with mustard. Top bun bottoms with one-half slice ham and one-half slice cheese. Use a slotted spoon to spoon meat mixture on top of cheese slices. Cover with bun tops. If desired, garnish each slider with a cornichons.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a medium skillet cook minced garlic in olive oil over medium heat until just starting to brown. Remove from heat. Carefully add orange juice, lemon juice, ground cumin, salt, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from heat; cool. Whisk before serving.