Cuban Pork and Black Bean Melts with Mustard Dressing and Pickled Red Onions
- Trim fat from meat. In a small bowl combine cumin, paprika, and black pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers. Cut meat into 3- to 4-inch pieces.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker combine yellow onion, wine, bay leaves, and garlic. Top with meat; drizzle with oil. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer meat to a large bowl. Use two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Strain cooking liquid, discarding solids. Stir enough of the cooking liquid (1/3 to 1/2 cup) into shredded meat to moisten. Reserve half of the meat (about 3 cups) for another use.*
- Preheat broiler. In a large bowl combine the remaining shredded meat and black beans. In a small bowl combine yogurt and and mustard. Set aside.
- Arrange bread slices on a large baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat about 2 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Spread bread slices with yogurt mixture. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture onto each bread slice. Top with cheese. Broil about 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Top with Pickled Red Onions.
From the Test Kitchen
To store shredded meat, transfer to an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month. Use the reserved meat to fill whole wheat buns or tortillas.
Pickled Red Onions
- In a medium bowl combine the onions, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine well. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Chill for longer storage (up to 3 days). Drain before using.
Nutrition Facts (Cuban Pork and Black Bean Melts with Mustard Dressing and Pickled Red Onions)
- Per serving:
- 350 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 69 mg chol. ,
- 399 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.