Cuban Panini with Quick Pickles
- In a small bowl combine cucumber, onion, lime juice, oregano, and sugar; set aside.
- Cut two 3/4-inch-thick horizontal slices from the bread. (Reserve remaining bread for another use.) Top one slice of bread with half of the cheese and all of the pork. Using a slotted spoon place cucumber mixture on pork. Top with the remaining cheese and the second bread slice. Brush outside of sandwich with oil.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around the outside edge of a charcoal grill. Test for medium heat in the center of the grill. Place sandwich on the grill rack in the center of the grill. Place a baking sheet on top of the sandwich and weigh it down with two bricks. Cover and grill for 6 to 8 minutes or until bread is golden brown and cheese melts, turning once halfway through grilling.* (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Wait for 2 minutes to allow the grill rack to cool slightly. Place sandwich on the burner that is turned off. Grill as above.)
From the Test Kitchen
To turn the panini, remove bricks and baking sheet. Slide the baking sheet under the sandwich to help turn it over.
Cuban-Style Pork Roast
- Trim the fat from pork. Place pork in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl whisk together orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Pour marinade over pork and seal bag. Chill for 3 to 6 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain pork, discarding the marinade.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place pork, fat side up, on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 45 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in pork registers 145 degrees F. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place pork on grill rack over burner that is off and grill as above.) Remove pork from grill. Cover; let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Cuban Panini with Quick Pickles)
- Per serving:
- 287 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 193 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.