The day before:
- In a small bowl combine mustard and mayonnaise. Spread cut sides of bread with mustard mixture. Layer the bottom with ham, pork, and salami. Pat pickle slices dry with paper towels. Place pickles on top of meat; add cheese. Replace top of bread; press down firmly.
- Coat a 24x18-inch sheet of heavy foil with cooking spray. Tightly wrap sandwich in the greased foil. Wrap in a second sheet of foil; place on a baking sheet. Place a heavy skillet (add cans of vegetables for more weight) on top of sandwich to press ingredients firmly together; chill overnight.
- Tote foil-wrapped sandwich in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill. For a charcoal grill, heat foil-wrapped sandwich on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-low coals for 30 minutes, turning sandwich every 5 minutes during grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-low. Place foil-wrapped sandwich on grill rack over heat. Cover and heat as above.)
- Cut sandwich into eight portions. Secure each portion with a wooden pick. Remove wooden picks before eating.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Nutrition Facts (Cuban Griller)
- Per serving:
- 365 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 63 mg chol. ,
- 1188 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.