Crusted Tuna with Chile-Tomato Adobo and Spicy Mango
- For the adobo sauce, in a small saucepan combine the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, ancho chile pepper, cinnamon, and allspice. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until well combined. Keep warm.
- In a small bowl combine the mangos, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, salt, and cayenne. Set aside.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the cumin, coriander, and peppercorns. Transfer to a plate. Season both sides of each tuna steak with salt; coat one side of the steaks with the pepper mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Sear the tuna, crust side-down, about 2 minutes or until brown, being careful not to let them burn. Turn and cook for 2 to 4 minutes more or until desired doneness for medium-rare.
- To serve, spoon 1/3 cup adobo sauce onto a plate. Place the tuna steak in the sauce, crust side-up. Top with the spicy mango mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
For a smoother sauce, puree the tomato mixture with a stick blender, adding a little more broth or water, if necessary.
Nutrition Facts (Crusted Tuna with Chile-Tomato Adobo and Spicy Mango)
- Per serving:
- 289 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 67 mg chol. ,
- 744 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 43 g pro.