- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray. Add oats, Nuts, and Seeds; spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring twice.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, and Liquid Sweetener. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter is melted and mixture is combined. Remove from heat. Stir in Flavoring and salt.
- Remove pan from the oven; place on a wire rack. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Add wheat germ and oat bran to the oat mixture. Pour warm brown sugar mixture over oat mixture. Using a fork or spatula, stir the oat mixture until it is thoroughly coated with brown sugar mixture. Bake for 5 minutes more. Remove pan from oven; place on wire rack.
- With a spatula, firmly press down the granola in the pan, making an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes more or until golden brown. Remove pan from oven and place on wire rack. Let cool for 15 minutes. Use the edges of the foil to lift the granola from pan. Crumble granola, leaving some of the granola in larger chunks. Cool completely. Stir in Dried Fruit.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. For breakfast, if desired, serve granola with milk or yogurt.
From the Test Kitchen
Nuts (pick one or more)
Seeds (pick one)
raw sunflower kernels
pepitas (pumpkin seeds) (use 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons maple syrup and 2 tablespoons mild-flavor molasses
Flavoring (pick one or two)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Dried Fruit (pick one)
cranberries or snipped cherries
apples or pears, snipped
walnuts, chia seeds, maple syrup and mild molasses, ginger, and dried apples
pistachios, sesame seeds, agave nectar, orange peel, and dried blueberries
almonds, flaxseeds, maple syrup, vanilla, and dried cherries
Nutrition Facts (Crunchy Granola)
- Per serving:
- 216 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 131 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.