Crostini with Delicata Squash Butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place squash halves cut sides up in a shallow baking pan; brush with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Cut 1/2 inch off tip of garlic bulb to expose cloves. Remove any loose outer layers. Add to baking pan. Drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until squash is very tender; let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat remaining 4 Tbsp. olive oil over medium. Working in two batches, cook sage 30 seconds or until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Working in two batches, cook shallots 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to plate with sage. Sprinkle all with 1/8 tsp. salt. Pour shallot-sage oil into a bowl.
- Preheat broiler. Brush both sides of bread slices with shallot-sage oil; set aside remaining oil. Place bread slices on a baking sheet; broil 3 to 4 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Rub toasts with halved garlic clove; sprinkle with 1/8 tsp. salt.
- For Delicata Butter: Squeeze roasted garlic cloves from bulb into a food processor. Spoon squash pulp from skins into the food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add lemon juice, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Pulse until combined.
- In a bowl stir together reserved shallot-sage oil, lemon zest, cheese, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
- Spread Delicata Butter on toasts. Top with cheese mixture, fried sage, and fried shallots.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, omit the sage and/or shallots. Brush bread slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil and stir 1 tablespoon olive oil into ricotta mixture.
Nutrition Facts (Crostini with Delicata Squash Butter)
- Per serving:
- 142 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 7 mg chol. ,
- 275 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.