Creme Brulee Pie
- Prepare pastry shell according to package directions for baked pastry shell. Cool slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, scrape seeds from vanilla bean, if using. In a small saucepan combine cream, vanilla seeds, and 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, egg yolks, and the salt to combine. Slowly pour the cooled cream mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly to combine. Stir in vanilla extract, if using. Strain the custard into the cooled crust.
- Bake until filling is set around the edges (center will shake slightly) and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center reads 165 degrees F, 25 to 30 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle superfine sugar in an even layer over the pie. To prevent overbrowning, carefully cover just the edge of pie with foil. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 2 minutes or until the sugar is evenly melted and caramelized. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top with berries.
From the Test Kitchen
A culinary torch can also be used to caramelize the sugar on top of the pie.
Nutrition Facts (Creme Brulee Pie)
- Per serving:
- 338 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 184 mg chol. ,
- 108 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 21 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.