Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- In a large saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in a large amount of boiling lightly salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Press through a ricer, mash with a potato masher, or beat with an electric mixer on low speed.* Add the 1/4 cup butter, the salt, and pepper. Gradually beat in enough of the milk to make mixture light and fluffy. (To serve today, omit Steps 2 and 3 and continue as directed in Step 4.)
- Transfer potato mixture to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Cool slightly. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; chill for up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap. Bake about 1 1/4 hours or until heated through.**
- If desired, serve with additional butter and snipped chives.
From the Test Kitchen
If you leave the peel on the potatoes, use a potato masher rather than a ricer or mixer to mash the potatoes.
**Slow Cooker Serving Directions:
Spoon chilled potato mixture into a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until heated through. Stir before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Mashed Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 154 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 280 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.