Creamy Corn Soup with Crispy Prosciutto
- In a large saucepan combine milk and the corn cob halves. Bring just to boiling; remove from heat. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-quart Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add the corn kernels, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and milk-corn cob mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a dry small skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto strips; cook about 4 minutes or until crispy and browned, turning occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, transfer proscuitto strips to a paper towel; set aside.
- Remove soup from heat; cool for 10 minutes. Remove and discard corn cobs, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. (Or transfer part of the soup to a blender; cover and blend until smooth. Repeat with the remaining soup, blending in batches. Return all of the soup to the Dutch oven.) Heat through. Serve topped with prosciutto strips.
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer, you can use crispy bacon in place of the prosciutto to garnish this soupor make it vegetarian by skipping the meat and garnishing with homemade croutons.
Icon: gluten free, energy boosting
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Corn Soup with Crispy Prosciutto)
- Per serving:
- 233 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 781 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.