Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet combine chicken, broth, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 14 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F); drain. Using two forks, shred chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a steamer basket. Place basket in a saucepan over 1 inch of boiling water. Steam, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer spinach to a sieve; press out excess liquid with the back of a spoon.
- For filling, in a large bowl combine shredded chicken, cooked spinach, and the 2 tablespoons green onion. For sauce, in a small bowl combine sour cream, flour, salt, and cumin. Stir in milk and chile peppers. Stir half of the sauce into filling; set the remaining sauce aside.
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish. Divide filling among tortillas; roll up tortillas. Arrange tortillas, seam sides down, in the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining sauce.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes more or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with cilantro and serve with salsa and/or additional green onion.
From the Test Kitchen
This casserole may be chilled or frozen. For a chilled casserole, prepare enchiladas as directed, except do not spoon sauce over the casserole. Transfer sauce to an airtight container; cover and chill in the refrigerator. Cover the baking dish and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. To bake, spoon the reserved portion of sauce over the chilled enchiladas. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees oven about 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve as above.
For a frozen casserole, add the sauce to the casserole before freezing. When ready to bake, thaw enchiladas overnight in refrigerator. Bake casserole, covered, in a 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand for 5 minutes. Serve as above.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Chicken Enchiladas)
- Per serving:
- 251 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 46 mg chol. ,
- 571 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 18 g pro.
2 Chicken breasts (bone in is best),
Simmer until chicken is done.
Shred chicken, reserve broth.
Sautee onion, poblano, garlic.
Return shredded chicken, reserved broth to pot. Add onion, poblano, garlic, cilantro and 1 can roi tel original tomato and chili. Cook down.
Use in burritos, quesadillas, soup.