Recipes and Cooking Cream Pie Whoopie Pies Be the first to rate & review! Fancier than plain cookies and easier to tote than cupcakes, whoopie pies are perfect picnic fare. By Colleen Weeden Colleen Weeden As a food expert, Colleen Weeden has written extensively for Better Homes & Gardens. From airfryer tips to advice on how to poach an egg, she shares her passion for food with practical, easy-to-follow tips. She has also contributed to Midwest Living magazine. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on May 2, 2020 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Blaine Moats Hands On Time: 20 mins Total Time: 1 hrs 20 mins Servings: 10 Yield: 10 sandwich cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ½ cup shortening 1 cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 1 egg 1 ¼ cup buttermilk 3 teaspoon vanilla 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour ½ cup butter, softened 1 7 ounce jar marshmallow creme 1 ½ cup powdered sugar Directions For cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl beat shortening on medium 30 seconds. Add 1 cup granulated sugar, the baking soda, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in egg, buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in flour until combined. Using a large (3 Tbsp.) cookie scoop, drop 20 mounds of dough 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms start to brown. Remove; let cool on wire racks. For filling: In a medium bowl beat butter on medium 30 seconds. Beat in marshmallow creme and remaining 2 tsp. vanilla until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar. Spread filling on bottoms (flat side) of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat side on filling. Wrap individually and chill up to 3 days. Makes 10 whoopie pies. Coconut Cream Whoopie Pies: Prepare filling as above, except add 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract to the filling. Prepare cookies as above. Roll edges of filled cookies in toasted coconut.Nutrition Facts per serving: Same as above except 543 calories, 81 g carbohydrate, 22 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 22 g cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 10% iron Banana Cream Whoopie Pies: Mash 1 banana (1/2 cup) with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Prepare cookies as directed, except reduce buttermilk to 1 cup; beat half the banana mixture into cookie batter with buttermilk. Prepare filling as directed, except beat remaining banana mixture into filling with marshmallow creme and increase powdered sugar to 2 1/2 cups.Nutrition Facts per serving: same as above except 580 calories, 94 g carbohydrate, 62 g total sugar, 2% Vitamin C, 308 mg sodium, 4% calcium Double-Chocolate Cream Whoopie PIes: Prepare cookies as directed, except reduce flour to 2 1/4 cups and combine with 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder. Prepare filling as directed, except add 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder with powdered sugar.Nutrition Facts per serving: same as above except 520 calories, 6 g protein, 2 g fiber, 11% iron Strawberry Cream Whoopie Pies: Prepare cookies as directed, except add 1/8 tsp. liquid red food coloring to batter with buttermilk. Prepare filling as directed, except fold in 6 Tbsp. finely crushed freeze-dried strawberries.Nutrition Facts per serving: same as above except 550 calorie, 84 g carbohydrate, 53 g total sugar, 317 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 10% iron Lemon Cream Whoopie Pies: Prepare cookies and filling as directed, except stir 2 tsp. lemon zest into filling.Nutrition Facts per serving: same as above except 80 g carbohydrate Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 526 Calories 21g Fat 79g Carbs 5g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 10 Calories 526 % Daily Value * Total Fat 21g 27% Saturated Fat 9g 45% Cholesterol 45mg 15% Sodium 314mg 14% Total Carbohydrate 79g 29% Total Sugars 49g Protein 5g Vitamin C 0.5mg 3% Calcium 55mg 4% Iron 1.6mg 9% Potassium 102mg 2% Fatty acids, total trans 2g Folate, total 61.9mcg Vitamin B-12 0.2mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.