Cream of Roasted Fennel Soup with Homemade Croutons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut off and discard fennel stalks, reserving some of the feathery tops. Remove any wilted outer layers from bulb; cut a thin slice from base of bulb. Cut bulb into 1/2-inch slices, removing core if desired. Snip feathery tops; set aside.
- In a 13x9x2-inch baking pan combine fennel slices and onion. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Roast, uncovered, about 25 minutes or just until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a large saucepan. Stir in broth and potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until potato is tender. Cool slightly.
- Transfer vegetable mixture, one-third at a time, to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half, grapefruit juice, and cumin. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with white pepper and additional salt.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook fennel seeds over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until light brown and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Top each serving with fennel tops, toasted fennel seeds, and, if desired, Homemade Croutons.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 5. Cool soup slightly. Transfer soup to an airtight container. Cover and chill for up to 2 days. Place fennel tops and toasted fennel seeds in separate resealable plastic bags. Chill fennel tops for up to 2 days and store fennel seeds at room temperature for up to 2 days. To serve, transfer soup to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve as directed in Step 6.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread cubed sourdough, Italian or French bread in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper and kosher salt. Toss to coat. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir; bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until crisp and brown. Makes 2 cups.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed; cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container. Cover and chill for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Cream of Roasted Fennel Soup with Homemade Croutons)
- Per serving:
- 97 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 11 mg chol. ,
- 416 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.