Cream Cheese Mashers with Kale Pesto
- Place potatoes and garlic in a 6-quart pot and add water to cover; stir in salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pot.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a small saucepan; add cream. Keep warm over low heat.
- Mash potatoes in the cooking pot with a potato masher. Stir in the cream cheese. Slowly add the butter mixture, stirring it in and melting the cream cheese in the process. The potatoes may look soupy at first but they will quickly absorb the liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep mashed potatoes warm in slow cooker set to low for up to 4 hours. Top with Kale Pesto.
- Place chopped kale leaves and stems, olive oil, garlic, Parmesan, and sunflower kernels in a food processor. Cover and process until a smooth paste forms. Blend in lemon juice and salt to taste. Thin with water, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Mashed potatoes can be made 4 hours before dinner and kept warm in a 6-quart slow cooker on low-heat setting. Stir before serving. Kale pesto can be made up to 1 month ahead and frozen in a resealable plastic freezer bag. Thaw overnight and serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Cream Cheese Mashers with Kale Pesto)
- Per serving:
- 306 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 216 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.