Cranberry-White Chocolate Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter by repeatedly pushing down through the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (rotate the pastry blender and bowl to cut in uniformly). Use the back of a spoon to make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, the 3/4 cup cream, the cranberries, chopped white chocolate, and, if desired, orange peel. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing for 10 to 12 strokes or just until dough comes together (to ensure tender scones, be careful not to knead too much). Divide dough in half. Pat or lightly roll each half into a 6-inch circle. Cut each circle into six wedges.
- Place wedges 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush wedges with additional whipping cream. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on baking sheet. Drizzle with Orange Drizzle. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except do not drizzle with Orange Drizzle. Place cooled scones in a plastic freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw at room temperature. If desired, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place scones on a baking sheet; heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drizzle with Orange Drizzle.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar,1 tablespoon of the orange juice, and vanilla. Stir in additional orange juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach a drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-White Chocolate Scones)
- Per serving:
- 288 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 69 mg chol. ,
- 286 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.