Cranberry Bran Muffin Mix
- In a 1-quart glass jar or a 32-ounce canister or container with a tight-fitting lid layer the following ingredients in this order: the 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, salt, soda, 1/4 teaspoon spice, the 1/2 cup brown sugar, the whole bran cereal, cranberries, and pecans or almonds. Tap jar gently on the counter to settle each layer before adding the next.
- For streusel topping, in a small bowl stir together the 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, the 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, and 1/4 teaspoon spice. Place streusel topping in a small plastic bag; seal or tie bag closed. Place streusel topping in jar; fasten lid. Attach directions for making muffins.
TO MAKE MUFFINS:
- Before using, remove streusel mixture from jar; set aside. Shake remaining ingredients in jar to mix.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 1 egg, lightly beaten; 1 cup milk; and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Stir in contents of jar until just combined. Spoon batter into cups, filling each two-thirds full. In a small bowl cut 2 tablespoons butter into streusel mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over batter in cups.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Store jar of mix at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry Bran Muffin Mix)
- Per serving:
- 236 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 24 mg chol. ,
- 198 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 19 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.