- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly grease the foil; set pan aside.
- For crust, in a food processor combine the 1 1/3 cups flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, and the 1/2 cup butter. Cover and process for 5 to 10 seconds or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the crystallized ginger, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the egg yolk. Process for 20 to 30 seconds or just until the dough comes together. Press dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Brush the egg white lightly over the dough. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Remove crust from oven and set aside.
- For filling, in a food processor combine the almond paste and the 2 tablespoons sugar. Cover and process for 15 to 20 seconds or until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the 1/4 cup butter, 2 tablespoons flour, the baking powder, 1 egg, and almond extract. Cover and process for 15 to 20 seconds or until combined. Spread cranberry sauce evenly over warm crust in pan. Gently pour and carefully spread the almond mixture over the cranberry layer. Bake for 20 minutes more. Remove from oven.
- Preheat the broiler. For topping, in a small saucepan melt the 3 tablespoons butter. Add the 1/3 cup sugar, the milk, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly (do not boil). Remove from heat and fold in the almonds. Gently spoon the topping over the filling.
- Broil the bars 4 to 5 inches from the heat about 2 minutes or until golden, turning the pan if necessary for even browning and watching carefully. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Place bars in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Almond Bars)
- Per serving:
- 285 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 52 mg chol. ,
- 233 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 19 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.