- Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine sugar, evaporated milk, and the 1/2 cup butter. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 6 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add marshmallows, dark chocolate, Grand Marnier liqueur, and orange peel; stir until melted and smooth. Stir in dried cranberries. Beat by hand for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Cover and chill about 1 1/2 hours or until nearly firm.
- Line a cookie with waxed paper. Shape chocolate mixture into 1-inch balls. Place balls on the prepared cookie sheet. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until firm.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl microwave semisweet chocolate and shortening on 50 percent power (medium) for 2 to 3 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring after every minute. Cool slightly.
- Dip balls, one at a time, into melted chocolate, letting excess drip back into bowl. Return chocolate-dipped balls to cookie sheet. Chill about 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. If desired, sprinkle truffles lightly with cocoa powder before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Place truffles, without cocoa powder topping, in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. If desired, sprinkle lightly with cocoa powder.
Nutrition Facts (Cran-Marnier Truffles)
- Per serving:
- 110 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 23 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.