Cowboy Scrambled Breakfast Hash
- In a skillet cook sausage over medium heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- Lightly coat a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add sausage, potatoes, mushrooms, onion, poblano pepper, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a bowl whisk together eggs and milk; pour evenly over potato mixture in slow cooker. Sprinkle cheese in the center of egg mixture in slow cooker. If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Cover and cook for 15 to 25 minutes or just until eggs are set and cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle cooked hash with cilantro. Serve with salsa.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Sunny-Side Up Breakfast Hash:
Prepare as directed above through Step 3. In Step 4, omit milk and whisking eggs. Sprinkle cheese over potato mixture in slow cooker. Crack eggs, one at a time, into a bowl without breaking yolks. Carefully pour eggs over potato mixture, evenly distributing yolks. If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Cover and cook for 15 to 25 minutes or just until egg whites turn opaque and yolks are cooked. Sprinkle cooked hash with cilantro. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts (Cowboy Scrambled Breakfast Hash)
- Per serving:
- 482 kcal ,
- 32 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 279 mg chol. ,
- 969 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.