Cornmeal Waffles with Blueberry Compote
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, milk, egg yolks, oil, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until combined (do not overmix).
- In a large bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites gently into batter.
- Coat a waffle baker with cooking spray; heat according to the manufacturer's directions. Pour about 3/4 cup batter into grids of the waffle baker.** Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with Blueberry Compote, and if desired, fresh berries.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
If using a 6-inch round waffle iron, use 1/2 cup batter per waffle and serve three quarters of a round waffle per serving.
- In a medium saucepan bring apple juice and lemon juice to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in fresh blueberries, lemon peel, and cinnamon. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes more. Makes 1-2/3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Cornmeal Waffles with Blueberry Compote)
- Per serving:
- 204 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 54 mg chol. ,
- 176 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.