Cornmeal Griddle Cakes
- Cut corn kernels from cobs. In a 12-inch skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Finely crumble bacon.
- Add corn and onion to reserved drippings; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Place half of the mixture in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until nearly smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in egg, buttermilk, and chives.
- In a large bowl stir together next six ingredients (through salt). Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Stir in remaining corn mixture and bacon. Let stand 5 minutes.
- For each griddle cake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Spread batter, if needed. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden; turn over when surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry.
- Serve griddle cakes warm with creme fraiche and, if desired, additional chives.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Cornmeal Griddle Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 389 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 81 mg chol. ,
- 492 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.