Cornmeal Buttermilk Waffles with Honey Butter
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another medium bowl beat eggs lightly; stir in buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). If desired, fold in desired Add-Ins.
- Add batter to a preheated, lightly greased regular or Belgian waffle baker according to manufacturer's directions. Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm. If desired, serve with Honey-Cinnamon Butter.
From the Test Kitchen
Fold into the waffle batter 1/2 cup raisins or finely snipped dried fruit; 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries; 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (toasted, if desired); 1/2 cup chopped banana; 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon; 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese; 1/4 cup shredded coconut; or 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces.
To make 2 cups sour milk, place 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 2 cups total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
- In a medium bowl combine butter, honey, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed about 10 minutes or until well mixed and fluffy. Serve immediately or roll into a log shape; wrap in plastic wrap and chill until needed.
Nutrition Facts (Cornmeal Buttermilk Waffles with Honey Butter)
- Per serving:
- 273 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 53 mg chol. ,
- 381 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.