Cornflake Chicken and Waffles
- In a large bowl whisk together buttermilk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Add chicken, stirring to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- For coating, in a shallow dish combine cornflakes, poultry seasoning, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir in the 3 tablespoons melted butter. Roll buttermilk-coated chicken pieces, one at a time, in the cornflake mixture. Arrange coated chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet, making sure pieces do not touch. Sprinkle chicken pieces with any remaining cornflake mixture.
- Bake chicken for 25 to 30 minutes or until no longer pink. Do not turn pieces while baking.
- Meanwhile, for gravy, in a large skillet cook chopped bacon over medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Measure bacon drippings; add as much additional butter as needed to measure 1/4 cup total drippings mixture. Stir in flour until combined. Slowly pour in milk in a steady stream, whisking rapidly to prevent lumps; bring to simmering. Add thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Season to taste with additional salt and black pepper.
- To serve, place each waffle on a dinner plate; top with chicken pieces. Spoon some of the gravy over all. If desired, drizzle with maple syrup. Serve with the remaining gravy.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1/3 cup sour milk, place 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/3 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Cornflake Chicken and Waffles)
- Per serving:
- 630 kcal ,
- 34 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 150 mg chol. ,
- 1105 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 38 g pro.