Corn and Bacon Macaroni Pie
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry from the center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate's edge. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry.
- Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy foil. Bake for 8 minutes; remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until pastry is golden. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return macaroni to pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel. Wipe out skillet.
- In the same skillet melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, mustard, and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, green onions, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Add cheddar cheese; stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir macaroni, bacon, and corn into cheese mixture. Spoon macaroni mixture into pastry-lined pie plate, mounding mixture in the center.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through (160 degrees F). If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. If desired, sprinkle with sliced green onions before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Crumb-Topped Corn and Bacon Macaroni Pie:
In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs), 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni mixture before baking.
Nutrition Facts (Corn and Bacon Macaroni Pie)
- Per serving:
- 490 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 60 mg chol. ,
- 540 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.
Trishalicious 1911 Days Ago
My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe! We used sharp white cheddar cheese (the recipe didn't specify) and it was wonderful. I would highly recommend it and we will be making it again!