- Divide Basic Pattern Dough in half. Knead rum extract and orange food coloring into one dough portion. Knead coconut extract and yellow food coloring into the other portion.
- Shape each dough portion into a rectangular log that is about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide. Wrap logs in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. With a sharp knife, cut each log lengthwise into four slices. Alternating colors, stack the slices to form two four-layer logs. Press dough together to seal layers. Wrap logs in waxed paper or plastic wrap, and chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until firm.
- Place logs on a cutting surface with a solid color facing up. Using a sharp knife, cut each log lengthwise into four slices. (Each will have four layers in alternating colors.) Stack four slices of dough, alternating colors placement for a checkerboard effect. Repeat with remaining slices. Trim edges to straighten. Combine coconut and macadamia nuts; roll logs in mixture to coat. Wrap and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut each log into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 4 dozen.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Basic Pattern Dough
- Beat butter for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in as much of the all-purpose flour as you can with a mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Makes about 2-1/2 cups of dough.