Toffee Snickerdoodle Cupcake Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1-1/2 cups sugar, the baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the 1 cup toffee pieces, and pecans. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour twenty-four to twenty-six 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup sugar, the cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Use a rounded 2-tablespoon scoop to measure dough. Shape into balls. Roll balls in sugar mixture to coat. Press each ball lightly into a prepared muffin cup; making tops of all cookies even.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and edges are just firm (centers will dip slightly). Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cookies from muffin cups; cool.
- Spoon the frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe frosting into a tall swirl on each cupcake. If desired, sprinkle with crushed toffee pieces. Makes 24 to 26 cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Place frosted cupcakes in a single layer in airtight containers; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Spiced Buttercream Frosting
- Allow butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in the 1/4 cup milk, the vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar. Beat in the 2 to 4 teaspoons milk until frosting reaches spreading consistency.