Sugar Cookies with Rosemaling
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill dough for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll half of the dough at a time 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut out with desired 2- to 2-1/2-inch heart- and tree-shape cutters. Place in ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- Add additional shapes using a #2 filbert brush, letting each color dry before adding another. Outline shapes with a #1 script liner brush. Let dry thoroughly. Insert 1/4-inch-wide colored ribbons for hanging, if desired. Makes 36 to 48 cookies.
- For glaze, combine powdered sugar, warm water, meringue powder and cream of tartar in a medium mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, then on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until very stiff. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional warm water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until of glazing consistency. (Use at once.)
- Spread each cookie almost to edge with glaze. Let dry on wire rack at least 4 hours or until completely dry.
From the Test Kitchen
Place small dabs of desired paste food colorings on palette paper. Using a #2 shader brush, paint the largest shape of the design in the center of the cookie. Let food coloring dry completely.
Nutrition Facts (Sugar Cookies with Rosemaling)
- Per serving:
- 96 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 11 mg chol. ,
- 35 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.