Recipes and Cooking Desserts & Baking Cookies Sugar Cookie Star Cutouts Be the first to rate & review! This recipe features a star, but any cutter will do to create various Christmas cookie shapes out of this delicious dough. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on August 29, 2016 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 30 mins Chill Time: 1 hrs Bake Time: 8 mins Total Time: 30 mins Yield: about 48 (2-1/2-inch) cookies or about 16 (5-inch) cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ⅓ cup butter, softened ⅓ cup shortening ¾ cup sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder Dash salt 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 cup all-purpose flour 1 recipe Royal Icing Glaze (see recipe below) Sanding sugar (optional) 1 recipe Luster Dust Topper (see recipe below) (optional) Royal Icing Glaze 2 cup sifted powdered sugar 4 teaspoon meringue powder* ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar ¼ cup warm water 1 tablespoon warm water Luster Dust Topper ½ teaspoon gold, silver, or pearl luster dust** 2 teaspoon vodka Directions In a medium bowl combine butter and shortening; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Cover; chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide dough into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough one portion at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough using 2-1/2- to 5-inch star-shape cutters. Place star cutouts on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool. Frost and pipe cookies with Royal Icing Glaze as desired. If desired, sprinkle with sanding sugar or use a tiny clean paintbrush to paint the piped designs with Luster Dust Topper. Makes about 48 (2-1/2-inch) cookies or about 16 (5-inch) cookies. Royal Icing Glaze In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Stir in the 1/4 cup warm water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, then on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until very stiff. Add remaining warm water 1 teaspoon at a time until icing is of glazing consistency. Luster Dust Topper Place luster dust in a custard cup. Stir in vodka. (The vodka will evaporate, leaving a dry mixture that you can easily paint onto icing.) Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. (Or freeze undecorated cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw, then decorate cookies.) * Merigue powder is a mixture of pasteurized egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store. ** Look for luster dust in the cake and cookie decorating department of a hobby store. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 74 Calories 3g Fat 12g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 74 % Daily Value * Total Fat 3g 4% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 8mg 3% Sodium 19mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 12g 4% Protein 1g *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.