- In large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar and salt; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl. Beat in vanilla. Add flour; beat until dough comes together. Wrap and chill dough 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with 4- to 6-inch tree-shape cutters. Place cutouts 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack; cool completely.
- Brush cookies with strokes of Powdered Sugar Icing; sprinkle with green sugar. Add cherry slice to top. Makes 16 (6-inch) or 28 (4-inch) cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days; freeze up to 3 months.
Nutrition facts are given for each 6-inch cookie.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- Stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to make thin icing. Refrigerate icing up to 1 week. Let come to room temperature; if necessary, thin with few drops milk. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Sparkle Trees)
- Per serving:
- 380 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 46 mg chol. ,
- 162 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 35 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.