Make Trio Cookie Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough into three equal portions. Use it to make Santa's Whiskers.
- Pat cherries dry with paper towels. In a medium mixing bowl combine the cherries, cookie dough, and, if desired, food coloring. Using a wooden spoon, mix until thoroughly combined.
- Shape dough into a 10-inch-long roll. Roll dough in coconut until covered. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Makes about 36 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Santa's Whiskers)
- Per serving:
- 66 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 25 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.
Rebecca Weekes 507 Days Ago
What is Trio Cookie Dough?