Petite Peppermint Sandwiches
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough into four portions. Shape each portion into an 8-inch roll. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Freeze for 2 to 3 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut rolls into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or just until firm. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- To assemble, spread Peppermint-Cream Cheese Filling over the bottom of one cookie, spreading to the edges. Press the bottom of a second cookie against the filling, pressing lightly until filling comes just slightly over edges. Roll edges of cookies in crushed candies or sprinkles. Repeat with the remaining cookies, filling, and candies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer filled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Peppermint Cream Cheese Filling
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and peppermint extract. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in enough milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a filling of spreading consistency. Makes 1-2/3 cups.