- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, molasses, shortening, and butter. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; cool for 45 minutes.
- Add egg, cinnamon, orange peel, allspice, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, cardamom, and cloves to saucepan, stirring well to mix. Add flour, one-third at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap and chill dough for 2 to 24 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- On a well-floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 3-to 5-inch cookie cutter, cut into desired shapes. If desired, make a small heart cutout in the center of larger gingerbread men. Place on prepared cookie sheet. If desired, top with nuts, pressing lightly.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- If desired, in a medium mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, meringue powder,* and cream of tartar. Add 3 tablespoons cold water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until mixture is combined; then beat on medium to high speed for 5 to 8 minutes or until mixture forms stiff peaks. (If mixture seems stiff while beating, add water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Icing should be fairly thick for piping. For a thinner glazing consistency, stir in a little more water after beating.) Spread cooled cookies with thinned icing. When not using, keep tightly covered to prevent it from drying out; keep refrigerated. Makes 36 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for meringue powder at kitchen, cake-decorating, and crafts shops.
Nutrition Facts (Pepparkakor)
- Per serving:
- 132 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 59 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.