- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer 30 seconds; gradually add the 2 cups sifted powdered sugar beating until combined. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat or stir in flour. Wrap and chill dough 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface roll one portion of dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut out cookies using a 4-3/4-inch pear-shape cutter. Cut out a 1-1/2-inch partridge from the center of half of the pears. Cut out one 1-1/2-inch leaf for each cookie sandwich. Reroll partridges and dough scraps. Repeat with remaining portions of dough.
- Transfer cookies to a cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool.
- Spread a generous teaspoon of apricot preserves over each whole pear cookie. Sprinkle additional powdered sugar on cutout pear cookies; place on top of whole cookies.
- In a small bowl stir together the 1/4 cup powdered sugar and enough milk to make an icing of spreading consistency. Spread on bottom of leaf cookies; attach one leaf cutout near stem of each pear cookie. Makes 16 sandwich cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place unassembled cookie cutouts in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, then assemble into sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts (Partridge-in-a-Pear-Tree Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 283 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 57 mg chol. ,
- 113 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 20 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.