- Heat oven to 375 degree F. Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, coffee crystals, baking powder, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat until combined. Beat in eggs until combined. Beat in cocoa powder and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Stir in the nuts. Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into an 8-inch loaf, using floured hands. Place loaves about 5 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten to 3 inches wide.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until firm and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 hour or until completely cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degree F.
- Transfer loaves to a cutting board. Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay slices, cut sides down, on the cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 7 to 12 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer to wire racks and cool.
- For the espresso drizzle, in a medium bowl dissolve the instant espresso in 1 tablespoon water. Stir in powdered sugar. Add additional water, if necessary, to make drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Makes about 30.
From the Test Kitchen
Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Mocha Biscotti)
- Per serving:
- 133 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 30 mg chol. ,
- 73 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.