Lemony Glazed Shortbread Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line twenty-four 1-3/4-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a medium bowl, stir together flour and cornstarch; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon peel. Using a wooden spoon, press mixture up against bowl until sugar is yellow and very fragrant; set aside. (Pressing the lemon peel into the powdered sugar helps to release the lemon oils.)
- In a large bowl, combine butter, lemon juice, salt, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Gradually add powdered sugar mixture, beating until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture.
- Press dough together to form a ball. Divide dough into 24 equal portions. With lightly floured fingers, press a portion of dough evenly into bottom of each prepared muffin cup.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Carefully remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Immediately spoon and gently spread about 1/2 teaspoon of Lemon Glaze on the top of each warm cupcake. Let cupcakes cool completely before serving. Makes 24 mini cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer glazed cupcakes between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store glazed cupcakes in the refrigerator for 1 day or freeze unglazed cupcakes for up to 1 month.
- In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add enough additional lemon juice to make drizzling consistency.