- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ground lavender buds, finely shredded lemon peel, and salt. In a large mixing bowl beat the 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch-long log. Wrap log in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for 2 to 24 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut roll into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, and the milk. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a frosting of spreading consistency. Spread frosting on tops of cookies and, if desired, garnish with additional lavender buds and thin strips of lemon peel. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
- Place in single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or freeze unfrosted cookies for up to 3 months; thaw and frost.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze unfrosted cookies for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Frost as directed.
Make it a Gift
Roll a 12-inch length of corrugated cardboard to create approximately a 3-inch-diameter tube, allow for a 1/2 inch of overlap. Cut cork drink coasters to fit each end and hot-glue in place. Line interior with tissue paper, then nestle a stack of cookies in the tube. Wrap ribbon around cookie tube and insert a real or artificial berry stem.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Lavender Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 91 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 62 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.