Lemon-Ginger Snowballs Be the first to rate & review! A lemon cookie recipe is a great addition to any occasion. These snowball-inspired goodies also have an optional chocolate variation. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on October 12, 2016 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 30 mins Chill Time: 1 hrs Bake Time: 10 mins Total Time: 30 mins Yield: 4 dozen cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ½ cup shortening 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or finely chopped crystallized ginger 1 tablespoon vanilla 2 teaspoon honey-lemon-ginseng flavor green tea (from one .1 oz. tea bag)* 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel 1 cup packed brown sugar 2 teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 2 large eggs 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour Granulated sugar 1 recipe Powdered Sugar Glaze, (recipe below) coconut, powdered sugar, white nonpareils (optional) Powdered Sugar Glaze 1 cup powdered sugar 4 teaspoon water Directions In large mixing bowl beat shortening, ginger, vanilla, tea, and lemon peel on medium until fluffy. Add brown sugar; beat until well-combined. Beat in ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat in eggs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can; stir in remaining by hand. Refrigerate dough 1 hour or until easy to handle. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Shape dough in 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place on two ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Dip in Powdered Sugar Glaze and toppings; let stand on waxed paper to dry. Makes 4 dozen cookies. Powdered Sugar Glaze In bowl stir together powdered sugar and water to reach drizzling consistency. Chocolate Variation : Prepare as directed, adding 1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder with the brown sugar, and reducing the flour to 2-1/3 cups. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are set. Dust with powdered sugar. * Cut open tea bag and add the loose tea to the batter. (Do not brew the tea). Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 75 Calories 2g Fat 13g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 75 % Daily Value * Total Fat 2g 3% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 9mg 3% Sodium 35mg 2% Total Carbohydrate 13g 5% Total Sugars 8g Protein 1g Calcium 10.1mg 1% Iron 0.4mg 2% Potassium 18mg 0% Folate, total 12.1mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.