- In a medium bowl stir together all-purpose and whole wheat flours, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and cloves; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Beat in egg until mixture is light. Beat in molasses and lemon juice on low speed until combined. Beat in as much of flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill at least 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out dough. (For Santa's, use tear-drop-shaped cookie cutters of various sizes.) Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. When cookies are cool, decorate with white or tinted Royal Icing and candies. Makes about 90 (2-1/2-inch) cookies.
- in a medium mixing bowl combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons meringue powder.* Add 3 tablespoons cold water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until mixture is combined; then beat on medium to high speed for 5 to 8 minutes or until mixture forms stiff peaks. (If mixture seems stiff while beating, add water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Icing should be fairly thick for piping. For a thinner glazing consistency, stir in a little more water after beating.) When not using, keep tightly covered to prevent it from drying out; keep refrigerated. Makes 2 cups.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for meringue powder at kitchen, cake-decorating, and crafts shops.
Nutrition Facts (Gingerbread Cutouts)
- Per serving:
- 57 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 38 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.