- In a medium saucepan combine butter, milk, sugar, and honey. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat (mixture will appear curdled). Stir in almonds and candied fruits and peels. Stir in flour.
- Drop batter by level tablespoons at least 3 inches apart onto a greased and lightly floured cookie sheet (do not use an insulated cookie sheet). Using the back of a spoon, spread the batter into 3-inch circles.
- Bake in a 350-degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are light brown. Cool on a cookie sheet 1 minute. Carefully transfer to parchment or waxed paper. Cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing and flouring the cookie sheet between batches.
- In a heavy small saucepan heat semisweet chocolate pieces and the 2 tablespoons shortening over low heat until melted, stirring occasionally. Spread the bottom of each cookie with about 1 teaspoon of the chocolate mixture.
- In another small saucepan melt white baking bar and the 2 teaspoons shortening. Drizzle white chocolate onto dark chocolate. To marble, draw the tines of a fork through the white chocolate. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Makes 24.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare cookies as directed. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Florentines)
- Per serving:
- 131 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 33 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 2 g pro.