Date Bars with Orange Icing
- Coat a 15x10-1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Place dates in a small bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let stand for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed until frothy. Add brown sugar and drained dates, beating until mixture is well mixed. Stir in evaporated milk.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon to mix well. Stir in nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly with finger. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, margarine or butter, orange peel, and orange juice; stir until smooth. Spread bars with icing. Cut into bars. Makes 50.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool bars but do not ice. Wrap and freeze up to 1 month. Add icing after thawing.
Nutrition Facts (Date Bars with Orange Icing)
- Per serving:
- 61 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 20 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb.