Coffee-and-Cream Sandwich Cookies
- In a large bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using desired 1-1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- Spread 1 teaspoon Coffee Filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, bottom sides down, to make sandwiches. Combine cocoa powder and the 1 tablespoon powdered sugar. Place mixture in a small sieve and sift over filled cookies. Makes about 40 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze unfilled cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies; fill and assemble cookies as directed.
- In a medium bowl stir together powdered sugar, butter, espresso powder, vanilla, and enough milk to a make a filling of spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Coffee-and-Cream Sandwich Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 115 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 54 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.