Classic Whoopie Pies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in buttermilk or sour milk, egg, and vanilla until combined. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and cocoa powder. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.
- Drop dough from a rounded measuring tablespoon** 2-1/2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
- Spread the flat sides of half the cookies with a rounded tablespoon of Creamy Filling. Top with the remaining cookies, flat sides down. Store in the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Makes about 16 sandwich cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1 1/4 cups sour milk, place 4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 1/4 cups total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Try to keep mounds of dough in nicely rounded shapes. Use a #40 scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons) works well.
Layer assembled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze unfilled cookies for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen. Assemble as directed in Step 3.
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter, powdered sugar, marshmallow creme, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until firm.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Whoopie Pies)
- Per serving:
- 329 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 174 mg sodium ,
- 52 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 34 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.